Imogen Hermes Gowar and Booker-longlisted author Oyinkan Braithwaite’s short stories will be featured in a new original fiction podcast series from the Wellcome Collection and Audible, along with other authors such as Sarah Moss and Laura Purcell.
Costa Award-winning Andrew Michael Hurley and Haroun Khan will be joining Gowar, Braithwaite, Purcell and Moss for the series with each short story inspired by a curiosity, oddity or artefact on display in the Wellcome Collection’s permanent exhibit.
Exploring themes of “otherness, humanity, society and biology”, the series ‘Homeless Bodies and Other Stories’ will be released on Wednesday (30th October) to mark Halloween. It brings together “a gripping collection of tales that are unsettlingly eerie and provokingly current”. Objects that inspired the stories in the collection include: a trepanned skull, drilled with holes to release trapped spirits, an iron scold’s bridle, used to punish ‘gossiping’ women as well as a 19th Century fragment of tattooed skin.
Listeners who want to find out more about the objects that inspired each story can also explore further with a series of accompanying documentaries produced by award-winning producer Hana Walker-Brown.
The series will be available on Audible UK. The collection is priced at £19.99, and is free to members and those with a free trial of Audible.
- Mozley, Honeyman and Hermes Gowar make Women's Prize longlist
- Debuts from Hermes Gowar, Greengrass and Batuman make Women's Prize shortlist
- Read extracts from the Women's Prize 2018 shortlist
- Imogen Hermes Gowar | 'I could pour myself into getting a career or I could pour that same amount of myself into the book'
- Golden Globe-winning producer buys film rights to Gowar's debut