Allen Lane, an imprint of Penguin Press, will publish Inflamed by Doctor Rupa Marya (pictured) and economist Raj Patel.
Publishing director Josephine Greywoode acquired UK and Commonwealth rights from Karolina Sutton at Curtis Brown. The title will be published in the UK in 2021.
Meanwhile Eric Chinski at Farrar Straus Giroux, an imprint of Macmillan US, acquired US rights in a pre-empt from Kris Dahl at ICM Partners.
Inflamed is described as a "radical new analysis of health and disease". The authors present an investigation into how people's health is connected to political, social, economical and ecological systems and how wellbeing requires structural transformation.
Marya and Patel argue that society is "in the grip of a global epidemic of inflammation" with symptoms ranging from new allergies and cancers, through fascism to year-round forest fires and insect extinction.
Greywoode said: “I found the energy, rigour and ambition of Marya and Patel’s work electrifying. They illuminate our concerns about personal and environmental health in a fresh way, underpinning their argument with their passion for social justice. This book could not feel more timely ”.
- Allen Lane wins 'radical new history' of queer identity in four-way auction
- Allen Lane signs 'groundbreaking' history of motherhood
- Allen Lane wins nine-way auction for Fryar's Britain and Caribbean history
- Allen Lane wins three-way tussle for debut Free and Equal
- Bodley Head pre-empts Ed Miliband's book on 'radical ideas to remake the country'