Senior Publicity and Digital Campaigns Manager- Headline Publishing Group
Describe Your role
I'm a book publicist but with the added remit of being tasked with creating digital solutions for publicity, so every day is different (and mostly in a good way…).
What do you like best about your role?
It's pretty much completely different from book to book, and author to author. One day you could be at Old Trafford with a footballer, and the next at Latitude with a debut novelist. Also, the digital side is great fun, and there's a lot of scope to be creative – especially online.
What great new titles are you working on at the moment?
This is the Water – a strange, lyrical murder thriller by Yannick Murphy has just come out. And then there's Gutenberg's Apprentice by newcomer Alix Christie, about a young scribe in Mainz during the 15th Century who helped Gutenberg develop the world's first printing press: a book for book-lovers, for sure.
What makes a great digital publicity campaign?
Many of the magazines and newspapers who've had book space reduced in print have still been able to exist or expand online, so there's still a lot of space to fight for. Determination and passion still wins out though, so these things are still very important. Plus, with book bloggers continuing to become more prominent, thinking of new and exciting ways of launching a book is a constant, but rewarding, challenge.
What advice would you give to those looking to work in the industry?
The obvious things - like loving books and reading - are great, but it's also helpful to be aware of where the industry as a whole, it's challenges and what's changed over the last 7 or 8 years. Plus, be prepared to tweet. A lot.
- My Job In 5 by Dan Benton- Senior Digital Product Manager, Hay House Publishing
- My Job In 5 by Katrina Hopewell- Senior Marketing Manager, BLURB UK
- My Job in 5: Bethan Barker, Head of social and senior digital marketing manager, Penguin Random House UK
- My Job In 5: Pinelope Pourpoutidou, Senior Foreign Sales/Digital Rights Manager, Michael O'Mara Books
- My Job In 5: Andrew Hunter, senior marketing manager, Oxford University Press