Move over, Bookseller 100: a new list’s in town, and it promises to be more diverse, more dynamic and more dangerous than you.
Yes, today I’m delighted to announce that entries are open for the very first FutureBook 40: The Bookseller's definitive list of publishing innovators in the UK, sponsored by Kortext. Whereas the main list is a roll call of the most powerful people in the British book trade, and the Rising Stars list showcases publishing's fast-accelerating talent, our new and complementary index aims to highlight the underdogs, hustlers and entrepreneurs focused on rocking the industry boat, as well as those intrepid insiders trying to effect change from within the big-name brands.
What are we looking for?
- Publishers - but also booksellers, agents, librarians, designers, authors and anyone else innovating with books
- Digital experts - but also those experimenting in analogue and hybrid ways, from print to CSR to internal process
- Success stories - but also those whose bold, fast failures are helping them test what the future might look like
- Entrepreneurs - but also those fighting to effect change from within large and complex organisations
- Book folk - but also industry outsiders whose inventions and ideas have the potential to influence the trade
- UK residents - but also people from around the world whose work impacts on the UK market
- No-brainers but also lesser-known disruptors who deserve to be surfaced, supported and celebrated
How can you enter?
All you have to do to nominate yourself (or someone else) for the FutureBook 40 is fill in this entry form. It’s quick and concise and should only take a few minutes. Deadline for entries is Friday 23rd March. And please - spread the word (and the entry form link) as far and wide as possible, online and IRL, so we get as diverse and inspiring a list as possible. Our Twitter handle is @TheFutureBook and you can shout about the list using the hashtag (wait for it) #FutureBook40.
Who decides the final list?
The Bookseller team, alongside a couple of carefully selected guest judges. More on them soon.
When is it announced?
Friday 6th April.
There are some amazing people out there working hard to make the book industry more relevant, more useful, more inspiring and more eclectic than ever before. It’s time their voices were amplified. So spread the word and get entering or nominating now...