Amazon officials confirm to The FutureBook that downloads of #Kindle ebooks from Amazon Publishing imprints made available free of charge to customers in a telephone-company promotion have temporarily skewed the UK's 'Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store' rankings at Amazon.co.uk.
A fix is being attempted, according to the company. In answer to our inquiry, an Amazon spokesperson said:
Our paid list includes titles that are paid for either a la carte or through paid subscription programs like KU [Kindle Unlimited] and Prime. This does not include short term promotional programs with third parties that include free books. In this case the downloads were applied incorrectly and we are looking into a possible fix now.
As it happens, the terms and conditions of the free Kindle ebook offer made by EE specify that the promotion ends at 11:59 p.m. GMT on Sunday (24th August). However, eligible participants will have until 11:59 p.m. on 31st August to redeem claim codes for free downloads.
The promotion began on 9th August.
EE is a mobile phone and Internet service provider. Its brands include Orange and T-Mobile.
Of the 10 Amazon Publishing ebooks offered free as part of the promotion, five were among the Top 20 on the UK Paid Kindle Store list as of 9:30 p.m. London time Friday:
- Not Quite Dating (Not Quite Series) by Caherine Dybee (Montlake Romance)
- The Devil's Waters (A USAF Pararescue Thriller) by David L. Robbins (Thomas & Mercer)
- Shame by Alan Russell (Thomas & Mercer)
- Containment by Christian Cantrell (47North)
- Daughters for a Time by Jennifer Handford (Lake Union)
In addition, two others were ranked at Nos. 37 and 38 on the list at that hour Friday:
- Down and Out in Beverly Heels by Kathryn Leigh Scott (Montlake Romance)
- The Bone Factory (Leisure Fiction) by Nate Kenyon (47North)
Also part of the promotion:
- On the Cold Coasts by Vilborg Davidsdottir, translated by Alda Sigmundsdottir (Amazon Crossing)
- Where the Wind Blows (a Prairie Hearts Novel) by Caroline Fyffe (Montlake Romance)
- A Breath of Magic by Tracy Madson (Montlake Romance)
A sharp-eyed member of The FutureBook.net community noted the correlation between some of the ebooks near the top of the Paid Top 100 list and the 10 titles offered in the EE promotion.