And just like that, it’s time for London Book Fair 2017!
Over 25,000 people will be coming together next week from all over the world to network, negotiate, learn and be inspired by books. If it’s your first time at the fair or if you are new to the world of publishing, Alice Geary (UK chair, Society of Young Publishers) and I (Jobs in Books) have put together some essential things to remember when preparing for your time at LBF:
- Have a focus. Ask yourself what are you looking to get from the one, two or three days that you are there.
- Plan your time wisely. Look at which sessions you would like to attend in advance on the LBF website.
- Make a list of all the stands that you would like to visit and find out the stand number.
- When you arrive, take a moment to look at the floor plan and circle where you need to be throughout the day.
- Find the Golden Stair Case (it’s more yellow in reality). This is the central point for navigating your way around the fair.
- Bring a notepad and pen, you never know what important information might come your way.
- Wear comfy shoes as you will be on the go all day.
- Bring a bottle of water and snacks for extra energy.
- We’d recommend bringing business cards over your CV as CVs are easy to lose or misplace. You might like to ask at the stands who the best person would be to send your CV to and then get in touch with them with your CV after the fair.
- Look out for freebees; tote bags, pens, sweets and bubbles towards the end of the day! Do keep in mind that the books displayed (unfortunately) aren’t freebees and also can’t be purchased.
London Book Fair is a big and busy event. The majority of people will have meetings pre-booked so don’t be disheartened if you don’t get to speak with everyone that you had hoped to speak to. The most important thing is to have fun, enjoy the hustle and bustle and soak up everything that is going on around you!
For anyone looking for the latest on careers in publishing, don’t miss out on the following sessions.
14th March, 10am-11am, International Business Lounge Stand 3D10
Overview of the UK publishing industry and London Book Fair
14th March, 4pm-5pm, Olympia Room, Grand Hall
A career in publishing
15th March, 4pm-5pm, Olympia Room, Grand Hall
How to get into publishing
15th March, 4pm-5pm, Gallery Suite Room 2
Publishing – a career for everyone
15th March, 5.30pm-6.30pm, Olympia Grand Hall
How to get ahead in publishing
16th March, 2.30pm-5pm, Olympia Room Grand Hall
We hope you have a fantastic fair and one last thing, dont forget your ticket!