Describe your role
I head the company and lead a team of 10 people. My job is to pull all the strands of the company together plus plan and structure the company for future growth.
What do you like best about your role?
I love employing young people and seeing them grow and flourish. It is also wonderful to work with great authors and develop their careers. Sometimes we even make dreams come true!
What new projects are you working on at the moment?
We are currently looking at a couple of acquisition projects that will enhance the scope of the company. I also work on large rights deals. We have recently partnered with Start Media which has licensed all of our titles in the US and Canada.
What skills do you need to be your own publisher?
Energy, enthusiasm, a belief you can make it happen and tenacity. Accent Press has thrived because we have been very flexible—that is critical these days.
What advice would you give to those looking to start their own publishing business?
Do it but focus on digital sales initially because there’s less risk and more opportunity to sell directly to your readers. You also need to be prepared to embrace change and look for non-traditional routes to market.
- New management for Cardiff book cafe Octavo's as Accent plans expansion
- My Job In 5: Joseph Bottrill, managing director, Out of House Publishing
- My Job In 5: Ziggy Hanaor, Managing Director, Cicada Books
- My Job in 5: Darren Laws, Managing Director, Caffeine Nights Publishing
- My Job In 5 by Suzy Astbury- Managing Director, Inspired Selection