Vice President of Journal Publishing
Location : Bristol
Salary : Excellent - On Application
Morgan Healey are retained consultants for this search.
Due to continued growth, IOP Publishing are searching for a Vice President of Journal Publishing.
The role of Vice President of Journal Publishing is one of the three senior management roles in the editorial directorate with accountability for leading and ensuring delivery against the strategic objectives for the directorate.
The job holder will have business knowledge key to company strategy and therefore is central to shaping the company strategy going forward; close liaison with the sales and finance team in the commercial directorate is also required to ensure profit margins and budgets can be achieved.
This role is responsible to translating the editorial strategy into business plans and ensuring that the publishing teams can deliver the plans operationally. The job holder is therefore accountable for setting clear direction and measures for the managers of the teams working on the journals and has accountability for ensuring the delivery of specific targets for this group. They have to be strong leaders able to make decisions under pressure, manage others to implement them and be politically astute in getting buy-in rom critical stakeholders within the company and externally.
The Vice President of Journal Publishing has a strong external focus engaging with key stakeholders as appropriate. The role will have specific responsibility for a geographical area and will be expected to keep up to date on issues affecting that area and liaise with funders within this geographical area; this will contribute to the company’s aim to become more global.
• Responsible, as part of the Senior Management team, for contributing to the development of the company strategy and contributing to the prioritisation work within that strategy.
• Accountable for review and delivery of the overall scientific strategy of their portfolio and its conversion into profitable, quality and relevant editorial products and services.
• Accountable for delivering clear leadership and strong management of teams.
• Engagement with external stakeholders to better inform strategic direction of the portfolio and the company as well as to build up reputation of IOP.
• Responsible for keeping up to date on key issues affecting the geographical area they are responsible for, working with key staff in these areas, negotiation contracts where required
• Accountable for driving forward new ideas on products and services.
• Significant experience in STM publishing.
• Significant management of a portfolio of journals, budgetary responsibility for costs and a
• Proven record of managing a diverse team to deliver results in a changing environment.
• Experience of the issues facing both academics, funding agencies and librarians within this environment is essential.
• Experience of different business models and working with different levels of management is essential as is the ability to present and win support for new business ideas.
• The job holder must also have a proven track record of leading teams and have demonstrated the ability to work independently and make decisions in context of the company strategy that support and deliver results.
• A qualification in the physical sciences, or a related subject would be preferable, but not essential.
To apply click here: http://www.morganhealey.com/job_details.asp?job_urn=300
Or send an up to date CV to:
+44 (0)1827 373750
+44 (0)7809 726438
Experts in STM Publishing & Digital Content Recruitment
For more details please contact James Douglas at Morgan Healey.
James@morganhealey.com or call: +44(0)1827 373750
Alternatively, to view all current opportunities please visit our website: www.morganhealey.com