A rare opportunity has arisen for a Publisher at a prestigious STM society publisher in central London. The role involves managing the publishing operation and strategy for a range of journals and books.
- Responsibility for managing and developing in-house publishing operations (print and electronic)
- Oversee publication of journals for the society, another 3rd party journal and books
- Develop a publishing strategy, business plan and marketing plan in conjunction with colleagues and committees
- Manage and monitor budgets ensuring the financial viability of publications and third party contracts
- Act as Managing Editor for journals including management of peer review, production of journals and books, sales and distribution, production of management reports etc
- Line management of the Publications Team, including recruitment, appraisal and training
- Supplier management and negotiation of contracts (e.g. printers, sales agents)
- Represent the organisation on ALPSP and other professional publishing organisations with travel to relevant conferences as required
Experience / skills required:
- Previous relevant experience within STM / society publishing
- Sound knowledge of journals (ideally books too) publishing processes - both print and digital
- Proven record of project management, planning and strategy
- Good commercial acumen and experience setting and monitoring budgets
- Experience of influencing and planning at a mid-senior level of an organisation, ideally liaising with trustees editorial boards
- Knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop would be advantageous
- Line management experience is preferred, with evidence of successful management and team development
The organisation offers an excellent range of benefits. For further information, please apply online or email a CV and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for all applications: 1 November 2012.