Journals Publisher - Energy, Earth & Planetary
Location : Oxford
Salary : Excellent - On Application
Our client, a global STM Publisher requires a new Journal Publisher for their Energy, Earth and Planetary Sciences list.
You will be responsible for delivering realisation, strategy, and business plans aiming at the maintenance and development of a journals portfolio or defined list of particular journals, within Energy and Earth and Planetary Sciences taking into account the plans and global objectives set by the journals business.
Key Result Areas:
• Continuous and active maintenance of the existing portfolio, matching developments in the external marketplace
• Active evaluation and replacement where necessary, of existing journal editors with adjustment to editorial structures as required, as well as editorial boards. Follow established procedure with regard to introduction of new Editors and Board Members.
• Ensure the efficient day to day running of existing journals, in close cooperation with relevant internal staff e.g. journal managers, content development managers etc.
• Actively manage the editorial cost budget for running the journals portfolio to a level as agreed with the Exec Publisher / Publishing Director (PD) / Senior Vice-President (SVP).
• Determine and execute competitive & growth strategy; including quality and volume policy. Draw up marketing plans in a joint effort with marketing departments. Propose segmentation / diversification / mergers / acquisitions / alliances at the journal level.
• Develop portfolio plan and projects for assigned Product Marketing Cluster (PMC) or designated journals group. Formulate budget proposals and cost estimations. Contribute to formulation of long term plans at Product Marketing Group (PMG)
• Build up and ensure excellent contacts with relevant parts of the scientific world, with a view to leveraging this for further development of own portfolio. Grow and maintain the scientific network through effective PR and ambassador activities e.g. running workshops and presenting at external events (e.g. conferences).
• Acquire new journals including society owned or other third party content.
• Negotiate contracts with authors, editors, info. providers etc.
Experience & Skills:
• University degree/PhD in a (relevant) scientific field
• Educated to degree level (BSc/BA) or equivalent
• Considerable Scientific Publishing experience
• Creative / entrepreneurial/ innovative attitude
• Knowledge of relevant parts of) the scientific world and its sociology
• Knowledge of publishing process and related developments
• Financial awareness
• Strategic and Commercial Awareness
• Communication, Negotiation and Networking
• Willingness to travel 6-8 weeks a year
To apply click here: http://www.morganhealey.com/job_details.asp?job_urn=315
Or send an up to date CV to:
+44 (0)1827 373750
+44 (0)7809 726438
Experts in STM Publishing & Digital Content Recruitment