The Old Vicarage
+44 (0)1827 373750Back
Closing date: 25/05/2012
Head of Publishing (Journals) - London or Reading
Company: Morgan Healey Ltd
Salary Description: £60,000 - £65,000 Basic
Location : London or Reading
Salary : £60,000 - £65,000 Basic
Our client, a STM society publisher requires a Head of Publishing to develop a competitive and sustainable business model for their journal publications.
The role is both strategic and operational. The Head of Publishing will be a member of the Senior Management Team, and will have a high level of autonomy to direct the publishing operations of the Society.
The post holder will be expected to define and establish the structure for a newly shaped Publications Department within a relatively short time. The post holder will play a central role in building the new journals department through recruitment and redeployment as necessary. This will also involve improving current functions to improve process efficiency and reduce costs.
The post holder will subsequently have management responsibility for all members of the Journals Publications Department, including production, sales and marketing.
The role of Head of Publishing requires the skills and experience to:
• Develop a fresh publishing strategy, focusing initially on our four existing scientific journals, but also considering the prospects of new journal development.
• Liaise with journal Editors, Editors-in-Chief and the Publications Committee to ensure harmonious working and inspire a dynamic, forward-looking Publications Committee that can maintain and develop the journals business.
• Determine an appropriate staffing structure for the publications department that aligns with modern best practices, and subsequently build the department through recruitment and redeployment.
• Keep editorial and production processes running smoothly, effectively (to schedule), efficiently and to a high standard.
• Develop and oversee activities in sales and marketing, development, editorial and production processes, as well as helping to grow and serve academic communities, for example of authors and readers.
• Respond positively, flexibly, swiftly and creatively to a changing external environment, including issues such as open access and overseas competition.
• Identify and exploit the opportunities for change in digital publishing, so as to develop innovative and cutting-edge products and bring them to market, while steering the Society through the pitfalls of the changing landscape.
• Work closely with internal and external stakeholders, including membership organisations, as well as developing business relationships.
• Set budgets for the department and provide management information as required, including the preparation of management reports (as agreed) and analytical assessments.
• Contribute to the Senior Management Team and comply with relevant Society policies and procedures.
• Proven track record in a publishing environment at a senior level, with demonstrable commercial success that is transferable to SGM journal publications.
• Detailed knowledge of scholarly journals publishing.
• An international outlook to take advantage of opportunities in developing economies worldwide.
• Extensive knowledge of the major publishing functions (sales and marketing, editorial, production and development).
• An understanding of the current publishing market and likely future developments.
• Leadership skills, including experience of and expertise in staff management and development.
• Demonstrable communication, presentation and negotiating skills, especially with respect to committees, Editors etc.
• Financial/business acumen.
• Ability to prepare and manage macro and micro budgets and forecasts.
To apply click here: http://www.morganhealey.com/job_details.asp?job_urn=246
Or send an up to date CV to:
+44 (0)1827 373750
+44 (0)7809 726438
Experts in STM Publishing & Digital Content Recruitment